Tuesday, May 13, 2008

R= BS Squared


One of the things that had always puzzled me about Einstein was his tenacious adherence to Judaism. It seemed such a paradox for someone who was so intimately familiar with the complexities of the Universe to adhere to the superstitions of religion. Very often, religious people would cite his practice of Judaism as a symbol of his faith and therefore his belief in GOD (Bum bum BUUUM),

Well as Richard Dawkins observed, most rational men of science defer not to the religion itself but to the tradition that binds them to it, out of an "Enormous respect" for the institutions.

Dr. Dawkins certainly knows the scientific mind, as a newly unearthed letter by Einstein in his latter years now gives us new light into the thoughts of a great mind.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish," Einstein wrote.

Einstein said he started questioning religion at the age of 12.

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions," the letter said. "And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people.

"As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are better protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

No comments:

Bottom of Page