Monday, May 16, 2005

Nerdy Nupitals

My good Friends mAc and Dinah (Their Blogs are linked to in my Friends section) were married last night.
Nerd Cake

Naturally, during a wedding one asks themselves many questions.
Will I ever marry?
Is the Bride pregnant?
What are people in the midwest THINKING?

But my primary question, my solid bafflement of the evening came not at the hands of the wedded couple, who are ripping people with excellent taste (Tell me Han and Leia on the cake isn't classy), but rather at the hands of many of the guests. It has come to my attention that the nerdier people are, the easier they find love. I remember a particular batch in college that we used to refere to as "The Pirates" because college is far more mature than High-school where we wouldn't have reffered to them at all. It was my academic observation that all these people, including the pastiest and puffiest of them, were not only in relationships, but engaged in frequent congress with each other and were very vocal about it. I was certain, that even casting a ten sided dice, would render you impotent. Women go sterile at the sight of a man in a cape and a jester's hat with bells, but here they all were. Sallow skinned, fringe, flab-monsters, with a happy relationship. More to my horror I realised that many of these relationships end in marriage. Early marriage at that. Too too many of the "Pirates" had married before college had even ended.

Is it possible that severe nerdery is such a niche, that when you find like minds it is an immediate attraction? As someone fluent in Nerd, i hesitate to think it's as simple as "I like Buffy, you like Buffy, let's mate."

My friend Nick (Who provided THIS excellent bit of Nerd Erotica), thinks it has to do with the sudden pleasure of human contact, mixed with the fear of never feeling it again. He maintains that the first, is usually the only for the geeky. It is his theory that whomever breaks bread, and shares the bed of the spotty-faced D&D afficionado, is most likely to become Mrs. Mega Nerd. Or to use a direct quote "They get so excited that someone lets them stick it in, that they figure they better get married or it won't happen again."

I Paraphrase of course, but the "Stick it in" part of the quote is entirely accurate.
Nonetheless it gives us pause. Those of us who strive to be well adjusted members of society, like my newlywed friends. Those of us who don't doff the pirate hat, and have never owned a pewter Dragon that holds a krystal, but still seek love. Are love and an interest in Lord of The Rings only compatible when you dress like Gandalf? mAc and Dinah seem to prove otherwise, but the numbers certainly do speak volumes.
Han Grabs Leia's Boobie

No comments:

Bottom of Page