Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Yellow Rose of Dickinson

As i was listening to NPR today I came across an interesting factoid:
emily-dickinsonyellowrose3

Most, if not all of Emily Dickinson's poetry can be sung to the tune of THE YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS.

Oh, I know, I know. Why would anyone under 50 know THE YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS, and who cares about Emily Dickinson?

Well for starters, its good to know local songs when traveling. On many occasions I've been welcomed into the fold by xenophobic villagers for knowing the words to ROSAMUNDE, KALINKA, EIN PROSIT, O SOLE MIO, BRAZIL, and JAMBO BWANA. Furthermore I would argue that TEXANS are more likely to tote guns, and therefore being on their good side while amongst them can be an effective tool. Especially if you are a swarthy California liberal, as I am.

As for Dickinson, well... Just try it. For you teachers out there, this might be a useful tool for gettng those students to memorize "Because I could not stop for Death, He kindly stopped for me"

In case you doubt, and is there REALLY a reason you should?

Emily Dickinson's poetry can be found
  • HERE!


  • And the tune to the YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS can be found
  • HERE!
  • No comments:

    Bottom of Page